World Environment Day
June 5th is World Environment Day.
Did you know that each World Environment Day is organized around a theme that focuses attention on a particularly pressing environmental concern and that is hosted by a different nation each year? The theme for 2019 is “Beat Air Pollution” and was chosen by the host nation, China. The topic invites each of us to consider the many things we can do in our everyday lives to reduce the amount of air pollution we produce.
There are 5 main causes of air pollution and one proposed solution on how you can help with each:
- Household – Turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Industry – Avoid purchasing from companies that are still using coal-burning power plants to manufacture goods
- Transport – Walk or bike when you can to avoid driving
- Agriculture – avoid eating red meat and dairy — livestock emits methane and ammonia
- Waste – never burn waste
What You Can Do
Join the #MaskChallenge by choosing the action of your choice to support #BeatAirPollution. The details of the challenge are outlined here. We’ve also listed below what you can do TODAY:
- On World Environment Day, show how you are fulfilling your pledge!
- Take another photo or video of yourself fulfilling your commitment and post it on social media.
- Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment.
We hope you’ll join us and we can’t wait to see what you’re choosing to do! Use #SpiritedNavigators or tag us so we can follow your pledges too!
Happy World Environment Day! And as always, Happy and Safe Travels!